Thursday, June 4, 2009

Will Farrell, Genius or idiot?

You either love him for such witty quotes as "Great Oden's Raven, that hurt," or "We're going streaking," or my personal favorite "Dear Lord baby Jesus;" or you hate him for quotes like "I invented the piano key necktie," and "he's an angry elf."

With Land of the Lost coming out tomorrow, love him or hate him, you have to admit, Will Farrell will get people in the seats; more importantly, he drives DVD sales. His choice of roles, latley has left something to be desired with many of his roles being pretty much identical. So, will this remake of a 1970's TV show scream redemption for the SNL alum, or will it be just another Bewitched remake that makes you shudder at the sheer volumn of film wasted? My guess would be the latter, but I'm still going to find out.

Rotten Tomatoes has a feature about the top 10 rated Will Farrell movies. While I can easily agree with just about everything on the list, I want to look back at a couple of hits, and a few misses.

Hit: Anchorman. My favorite. As Ron Burgundy, he expresses the perfect amount of comedy and stupidity. The entire movie seems to be written to be quoted, and is a pure joy to watch over and over.

Miss: Cruious George. This movie was just so bad, it made little money, and was pretty much ignored by everyone. Those who did see it wish they were one of those who ignored it.

Hit: Night at the Roxburry. Basically one big SNL skit, it pairs Farrell with SNL partner Chris Katan for a great satircal movie that is perfect to put on in the background, because you can jump in at any point and not miss any plot, and its so easy to quote the entire movie.

Miss: Bewitched. I'm not sure who I hated more in this, Nicole Kidman or Will Farrell, or maybe that guy at Blockbuster who reccomended it. The movie was just annoying and it put Farrell into a Dick York/Sergeant type of role that not only made poor use of his talent, excentuated his annoying-ness.

Hit: Talladega Nights. As much as it pains me to admit, I'm a NASCAR fan. I don't go to the races or anything, nor do I own any apparel, but I do happen to tune in and watch the cars go round and round..so what? Get off my back. Anyway, the movie has a great cast, some great one-liners and is one of the few racing movies that wasn't annoying.

So, are you a big Will Farrell fan, or is he pretty much movie suicide? If your a fan, which is your favorite Will Farrell movie?

No comments: