Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Who quotes more, Men or Women

So, I want some help with this one. I read an article saying there are differences between the way men and women perceive movies. Generally, the article states, that women perceive the movie as a whole better, and grasp the concepts of the story better. Men, on the other hand, have a tendency to see the movie in smaller terms, and remember scenes and more particularly movie quotes better than women, and as a result, are better at quoting movies.

Let me start off by saying that either some of the women in my life are anomalies, or this isn't correct. My sister can quote movies just as well as I can, and sometimes better. I work with someone who is female who is often better than I am at quoting movies, and I am pretty good. I know several other wonderful women who can stand toe to toe at DVD Screen it and come out with the movie quotes before I can...sometimes. So, I am not sure the movie quoting is true.

As far as having a different experience, however, I generally agree some men perceive the movie a bit differently than some women (I use the term "some"). Often, you will see the women get the overall story arch and grasp the concepts behind that quicker than some men, while men will sometimes grasp the nuances of the script as related to a specific character.

So, the question remains, do you think there is any truth behind these alleged findings, or does sex not even contribute to your movie experience? I would be interested in knowing, because I may have to expand on this one..

Let me know, and stay cool movie geeks...cause it's hot as heck out there today!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would say it is correct, if you look at the "guy movies" that have come out lately. I hear you and James snickering at the one liners while I am trying to listen to the dialogue. "Strange Wilderness," "Balls of Fury," and "Beerfest" are some of my examples.
By the way - I don't think this is either good or bad.

Ceskeeta said...

ergonomicaltho i know lots of movie quotes, my husband knows more. and so does his brother. and i find my lady friends remember the whole plot or a story line quicker than they can recall a quote. it is what it is.

Kevin said...

Well, it sounds like the article is correct so far, with three agreements, two female, and one male. That is kinda surprising, but, as Ceskeeta said, it is, what it is.