Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Where are the big, bad summer blockbusters?!?

Just a random post for the day, but I was just wondering where all the big summer blockbusters are? Star Trek was an excellent movie, and its working on $250 million in domestic box office dollars, which isn't bad with a budget of $100 million. For all you math majors, that's a hefty profit. Anyway, I digress, where I was going is, where is the movies that destroy box office records, like Spiderman, The Dark Knight, the first Transformers; the movies that are talked about at the end of the year for making companies stupid amounts of money?

So, far, this year, the big box office talk is Star Trek, with a measly $250 mill, Wolverine bombed, Terminator Salvation bombed, Watchmen bombed, Angels and Demons bombed, Land of the Lost bombed and G.I. Joe looks to be a bigger failure than HD-Dvd, so, does this leave the door open for Transformers 2, or is it going to be another underwhelming performance on an underwhelming year?

My guess would be that it will have a huge performance, probably in the neighborhood of $90 to $100 mill for the first weekend, and it ought to show up well, but, probably less than the first Transformers, and at the end of the year, when we are talking about blockbusters again, Star Trek will be at the top of the list as the fan favorite. And, money wise, I think Transformers will take the top spot, followed by Harry Potter and Star Trek will round out the top three. It will be interesting to look at the year totals compared to last year; I imagine the difference will be quite staggering, and not just because the Dark Knight had over $600 million.

What do you think, is it that there are just too many good movies this year, and we are too poor to see them all, or is it there just isn't that many good movies this year?

Well, I am pretty poor, and there were a lot of hyped movies this year, but there was very few movies that had The Dark Knights kind of caliber, even Star Trek was compared to Iron Man, which is a compliment, but Iron Man still had a crap-load less money at the end of the year. I would say it is probably a combination of the two.

As always, I welcome your opinions, and until the next post, stay cool, movie geeks!

3 comments:

Rabid Nick said...

You know I love your opinions but I love to call box office BS when I have to. Angels and Demons:

http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=angelsanddemons.htm

I think you are right....no big mega movie this year but overall the year at the box office is up for last year. So recession or not people are still going to movies, just a bunch of different ones, not all the same one.

Kevin said...

$123 million domestic is hardly noteworthy considering the last movie had a domestic of over $217 million. When we are talking less than half the dinero, its a noticable difference.

I would say there are alot more movies making a mediocre amount, versus one or two movies making stupid amounts, so, good call!

Rabid Nick said...

Sure but it's making money so it's hardly a flop or bomb. And this I don't know, but am guessing but I think they new it wouldn't make as much as Da Vinci because of books sales.