Sunday, June 7, 2009

Censors are getting stupid

Alright, so I have to comment. I was watching a pretty bad movie on Sci-Fi this morning. I love bad movies, partially because you can see what they did wrong, which makes you appreciate it when a film does something right. It's also comical, so, it's a good thing, especially in the morning.

Anyway, I digress. So, the scene involves these kids in an Egyptian Tomb, whatever. For some reason, they decide its time to whip out the wacky tobackey. After they light the joint, they bring it up to their mouth, and when the joint touches their lips, BAM! a censor smudge over the joint. The censor smudge disappears as soon as the kid removes it from his lips. This action continues for several instances. The entire time, I am yelling WTF?!

I am one for non-censorship. I think it should be clear what you are getting yourself into, and if it is not your cup of beer, then change the effing channel; don't ruin it for the people that either want to see it, or don't mind seeing it, just don't make the judgement for me.

I also think, censoring movies for television, time, swear words, nudity, drugs, smack talking against FOX, and anything else they don't like, waters down someones creation, and I don't like it. It would be like editing out this post, putting a piece of tape over the Mona Lisa, take your pick, it's messing with someones creation. Another great example, besides this hilarious one, was the dubbing over Samuel L. Jackson's famous quote in Snakes on a Plane, mentioning monkeys and Monday to Friday planes. I mean, really, first off, it doesn't make sense, and secondly, does that really hurt anyone who is going to be watching a movie like Snakes on a Plane to begin with?

OK, that was my rant, I'm moving on, I just figured I would share. Do you have a great example of stupid censoring? I know there has to be plenty out there. Do you think it's justified?

No comments: