Thursday, June 18, 2009

Mission Impossible: The journey to my first blog

"Your mission, should you choose to accept it," the message said, "is to get to the Year One prescreen and make it out alive." Truly an impossible mission, I thought, but my middle name is Danger, so I took the job. "Bill sent me" the message told me was the password, before a big puff of smoke came out of my computer and the 'self destruct' message came across the screen. "Damn," I thought, now, I need a new computer. I didn't know who Bill was, or why he was sending for me, I just knew that if I wanted to wake up tomorrow with the world still spinning, the Red, White and Blue still waving and the ideas of truth, justice and the American way still standing for something, I better complete my mission.

So, I got in my car and headed off before petting the dog and taking a big gulp of coke. This could be the last time I get to do either, so I better make it good. I walk out, and what was a day of sunshine had turned into a dark and stormy night. "They aren't going to make this easy," I thought. I started my trek toward the goal, dodging and weaving people who obviously didn't want me to make it there alive. In the rain, the crash of lightning and thunder, amidst the stupid drivers, I was forced to wait, growing more anxious by the moment, waiting for my break to cut through. I tried to focus on my objective, but it was growing increasingly difficult. Finally, I squeezed through, and made my move. "This'll be one for the record books" I thought as I bit my lip and mashed the gas.

I arrived at the massive complex that hides my objective. I make my way for the door, when, out of nowhere I am ambushed. There were a lot of them, far more than I had thought. I should have brought more ammo, but there was no time to worry about that now. I gave them a fair warning that their day would end, and my mission would be complete. "Bill sent me," I said with a commanding authority of a street mouse on his last breath. The head guard seemed to not care about this Bill, or why he sent me because he pointed to another guard, this time, one much bigger. After going through the motions again, I was trapped. I was captured, and without warning put into a long line of people waiting to be tortured. My time would come, and when it does, I will face it like a man.

"A man could go crazy, waiting like this," I thought as the hours went by. I kept trying to focus on the mission, but all I could hear was the screaming coming from somewhere in front of me. I still couldn't figure out who Bill was, but at this point, getting out alive was the most important thing.

When my time came, I was relieved and happy and quickly sprang into action. I charged in, waiting for the opposition, which was relatively light. I took out the first wave, but the second wave was much tougher. Finally, I took my seat, and waited to see how tough this mission would be. As the light finally flickered on the screen in front of me, I realized this mission wouldn't be easy. I leaned back and tried to reserve my strength for what would be the fight of my life.

At that point, my mission became very clear; it was mission impossible, not just mission tough...that crap is for wussies. The next two hours went whirling by, and as I sat there, I was truly working at my peak, no one else could have done what I had to do. I realized why Bill had sent me, because I was the best, and he knew I would get the job done.

Finally the lights were on, and I felt rescued. I bolted to the exit, dodging people wondering who this man was and how he survived. I wouldn't give them the satisfaction of an interview. I don't do what I do for fame, I do it for the pride of serving my country, and for the good of all mankind.

It was late, still raining, but there was an eerie calm when I got home. I had no idea how to file my report on the happenings of this night. Everything I would type simply couldn't give the events justice, no matter what I did. When I looked over at the clock, I realized I couldn't give any more to this mission. There will be other days, and other missions and I know that when I wake up tomorrow, the world would be waiting for me, so I took comfort in that.

So, there I sat, waiting for a phone call as to the next mission, and hoping they wouldn't blow up my phone when the message self-destructed.

5 comments:

Rabid Nick said...

Brilliant, simply brilliant.

Rabid Nick said...

This is awesome and SO well written if I haven't already told you.

Kevin said...

Thanks. It's kinda weird I was thinking more about this than the movie. But, I appreciate the support!

Jimbo said...

Absolutely hysterical! I almost woke you up laughing so hard! If only people knew the truth.... ;-)

Anonymous said...

That was cute.
-Michelle