Friday, May 8, 2009

What will Star Trek make opening weekend?

The new Star Trek movie looks amazing, capturing the mind of trekkies and non trekkies alike. The question is, will people flock to the movies to see Kirk, Spock and the intrepid crew of the Enterprise take off at warp speed on the first weekend, or will it take more word of mouth to get them in the seats?
Lets look at some numbers (try not to freak out, numbers are not the enemy):
The last Star Trek movie, Nemesis pulled in a measly $43 million the entire time.
Star Trek the Motion Picture raked in $11 million the first weekend, and $39 million total.
J.J. Abrams last blockbuster, one of my favs, Cloverfield got $46 million opening weekend.
The studios are predicting $70 million.
Wolverine got $83 million last weekend, so will the Enterprise make more than Hugh's Jackman?
My answer is yes, the marketing machine Star Trek has, along with stellar (hehe, I meant that pun) reviews will propel it to $90 million for the first weekend.
What do you think, will Star Trek topple Wolverine's mulah, or will it pull in less than stellar amounts?

4 comments:

Brian said...

90 mil the first weekend? Really?

Think so? I would give my high bet at 52 million but it might be closer to the 40s.

Kevin said...

Really? I am real tentative about this prediction, because, as much as everyone has talked this one up, its still a Star Trek movie, and that comes with a certain stigma, which could hurt the first weekend. On the other side, you can't go on the web, radio, or tv without seeing something Trek, and that much marketing is bound to pay off. We'll see!

Grogg said...

Well you were def closer! Well done. I have another blog challenge forthcoming. However it's a 3 way with a guy I know who knows more Trek/Wars/Batman than you, me, and half the internet. Up for a threesome? lol

Kevin said...

More Trek Wars and Batman than me? Ok, that I gotta see! Kevin's Movie Blog is up for the challenge!