Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Fantasy Casting Showdown...Casablanca

Once again Kevin’s Movie Blog was challenged to come up with all the answers regarding one of the greatest movies ever made. So, the weapons are fantasy casting at 10 paces, and at the end, we find out who is right and who is dead.

“This is the start of a beautiful friendship,” “Round up the usual suspects,” and “we’ll always have Paris,” are among many of the famous quotes of one of the best movies of all time, Casablanca. This 1943 movie starring Humphrey Boghart and Ingrid Bergram went down in history for it’s fantastic script, great chemistry and an interesting ending that truly deserved it’s best picture Oscar. With Hollywood’s tendency to remake good and bad movies alike, should this movie be next, and if so, who could fill those shoes?

There is such a thing as “lightning in a bottle,” and while the ‘rules for a remake’ show that it has been enough time to bring back the story, and while special effects weren’t what they are now, the movie was never about special effects, it was about chemistry, some of the best chemistry and screenwriting in history, and to think you can just go out and top that is ludacris.

Since it’s fun to fantasy cast, we’ll forgo the fact the movie should never happen, so please tell Madonna to stop wasting her time, she will never be Ilsa. So, who would you cast? I’ve got the answer.

Rick, the tough American who actually has a heart of gold has to go to George Clooney. I think Danny Ocean, himself can easily have the look and the chemistry, as he has shown in several instances. The other good part about this choice is, thanks to his recent attempts, he could also easily direct the movie, as he has shown great promise.

His love interest should probably be an unknown, but since that is no fun for the game, I choose the incredible Mrs. Ryan Reynolds herself, Scarlette Johansen as the girl trapped by the Nazis.

Captain Renault is a clever, very wise police officer caught between his duty and what is right; my call is Josh Hartnett. I like Hartnett, he has shown some great promise in some otherwise terrible movies, and I think this would be his time to shine.

Finally, the one character that really is the anarchy in an otherwise perfect love story, and that is Victor Laszlo. I think this choice could be the most questioned, but his recent film resume should leave no questions that he can do anything. This role also needs to be a guy that can have more charisma that Rick, and with Clooney in those shoes, it has to be someone amazing. My choice for the underground leader is Robert Downey Jr. The guy is currently working on Sherlock Holmes, which looks amazing and will clearly blow everyone out of the water with this role.

The final question is, should this movie be in the here and now, or should it be a period piece to remind the world what it was like back in World War II? In my opinion, you can’t have a World War II movie; Americans as a whole have been force-fed the stories of World War II since it happened, and I believe a certain sense of boredom and distance has come; as a result, American will have trouble truly identifying with an event that happened 66 years ago. The only option is to work something into the here and now. The option you would have would be some Americans and other Europeans stuck in a country in the middle of a war that is really tough to get out of; which won’t be easy in the era of cell phones.

So, who would you choose for the greatest love story ever told? Would you like to see a movie with the cast I chose, or would you rather just pop in the classic and enjoy. For me, I am curious to see what they can come up with, but I still know there is no possible way they will be able to have the chemistry and the history behind the original.

5 comments:

Rabid Nick said...

It’s time for another Blog vs. Blog challenge. This time I threw down a gauntlet for my boy Hopp to recast a Casablanca remake. Let me say now ****CASABLANCA SHOULD NEVER BE TOUCHED OR REMADE****
Like, ever. But for the sake of amusement I am up for the game. Come with me back to Rick’s Café Americana

Rick Blaine -- Hugh Jackman
Ilsa Lund -- Monica Bellucci
Victor Laszlo -- Liev Schreiber
Captain Renault -- Eddie Izzard
Major Strasser -- Ralph Fiennes
Signor Ferrari -- Alec Baldwin
Ugarti -- Steve Buscemi
Sam -- Ludacris

Rick Blaine, owner of Rick’s is the iconic role made famous by Humphrey Bogart. He’s kind of one of my favorite characters of all time. I think ANY choice save cloning Bogie and having him re-do his role will be met with controversy. I assume my choice will be no different. I am siding with Hugh Jackman, Wolverine himself. He is dark, he is charming, he can brood and still be highly romantic.

Ilsa Lund is not one of my favorite female movie heroines so I think a minor tweak or update is in need. She needs a little more backbone I vote. My choice is also alluring and international, smoking hot and can act her ass off. Monica Bellucci is my choice, she played Persephone in the Matrix sequels. She has enough heat to boil the desert and looks like she belongs with Jackman.

Live Schreiber would be a good Laszlo. When you see him, when he acts you are never quite sure if he’s an angel or a fiend. That is kind of Laszlo’s thing. He’s the good guy by rebelling, by fighting back against “the man.”

I’ve filled the rest of the cast nicely I feel. One Mr. Eddie Izzard would be wonderful as the charismatic, mischievous Captain Renault with enough one liners to make the whole film. It’s kind of cliché but I’ve picked Ralph Fiennes for Major Strasser the dick Nazi villian. Signor Ferrari is and interesting cad and I can just see a plump Alec Baldwin screwing Rick out of his pay. And finally, the iconic role of Sam befalls on Ludacris. Deal with it. lol

Again, in no circumstance should this film be remade. Ever. And yes Hopp if they DID it should still revolve around WWII. Moving it to a current time would rob it of its character.

Kevin said...

I'm glad we agree the movie should never see the light of day. I do think someone has seen Wolverine fairly recently, I just don't see Liev Shreiber as a guy that would conflict Ilsa, but I do like Monica Belluci as Ilsa; I didn't pick her because all I can think of is her role in Shoot 'em up.

I do like Eddie Izzard in just about anything, so not a bad choice. I definetly don't agree with Ludacris as Sam. I always saw Sam as an older, wiser guy, and Ludarcis does not convey that. I would go more towards a Morgan Freeman type character.

The last comment is on the time of the movie. This movie was released as the events of the movie were actually happening on the other side of the world, which gave it a real world feel and gave it even more heart. That is not possible now, considering my father wasn't even alive during the events of this movie. The only way to recreate that kinda feel is to do it in the here and now.

Great post, though. Thanks for the comment!

Rabid Nick said...

Good point bro, Monica and Hugh could have bad chemistry. And Liev and Hugh together would be silly. Forgot that part. Silly Wolverine.

Hartnett? Really? Interesting. I see NO charisma at all in him.

I will agree with you thinking on the present day/vs past thing...a little. I don't think at all that we can't relate just because we didn't go thru it, think how much the movie means to you and I, and we love our Jews. But I fresh coat of paint could be good. Somewhere in present day Iraq perhaps?

Kevin said...

I like it! Sign the script now! Well, maybe not, but I think that could be the best way to do it if it has to be done. I do love your choice of Alec Baldwin and Steve Buscemi, though...they would be spot on perfect in those roles.

Anonymous said...

I just have to say - I came up with a couple of these!! I like this game, let's keep playing!

No offense to Brian, but - WOW! Seriously? Especially Ludacris...whew!!

-Michelle