Monday, May 4, 2009

Dwayne Johnson to be Captain Nemo!

In the most bizarre casting news of the week, (yeah, I know it's only Monday, I'm leaving myself open) Disney has announced Dwayne "Don't call me The Rock" Johnson will star as Captain Nemo in the remake. Apparently the Rock loves remakes, because he seems to be quite good at them with Walking Tall and Escape to Witch Mountain.
I, for one, am a huge fan of Johnson's, he has always shown a ton of charisma, and loads of personality, along with a lot more range than one would expect from a Wrestler. This role, however, leaves me a bit puzzled, I just don't see it, but, then again, I said the same about Heath Ledger as the Joker, although I don't think Johnson has quite that much range.
The part that really befuzzles me is the plot description: "A fugitive whaler who teams up with a naturalist, a mysterious woman and a captain of a futuristic submarine to search for a lost underwater civilization that holds libraries of vast knowledge and a weapon with the power to destroy mankind." That just seems so ... bad, but I guess we'll have to wait and see, although you can put me down in the 'non-excited' category, besides, submarines are no longer futuristic, so they better have one heck of a special effects group ready to go.
What do you think? Color you crazy in anticipation, or do I have company in the not-so-much section?

4 comments:

Marisa said...

Tis Bizarre... but Disney loves them some "The Rock"...

Seriously... I feel like he does an obsence amount of Disney movies (and they're affiliates) for a former wrestling star...

Kevin said...

I agree, for an action star he has been hitting the family scene hard. I guess if you find something that works, stay with it, I'm told he has done a good job in his past few movies, but I would love to see him get back to some hardcore action movies like Rundown.

Anonymous said...

A Little Thunder? How about a little lightning?
"If your done beating me up, get in the truck."

Ahh, Rundown.
-Michelle

Kevin said...

Nice one! I love that scene, it still makes me crack up!