Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Goldmine or bust?

Late Star Trek creator Gene Roddenberry's son, Eugene "Rod" Roddenberry is reported by Variety news as getting ready to release over 500 hours of behind the scenes footage and cast interviews from Star Trek the Next Generation and the additional spinoff series. Roddenberry said it's a gold mine with the huge success the new Trek film had, he wants to share some of the magic with new and old Trekkies.

Now, here is where I have a problem. First off, I love behind the scenes, I think how the movies and shows are done are often more entertaining than the shows themselves, but a goldmine? The way I see it, the new film brought many fans, not necessarily because it was Star Trek, but because it was a great Sci-Fi movie. Now, do you really think all of the fans of the latest blockbuster are going to rush out and get their hands on the behind the scenes of a show that had very little relation to the movie, and was probably one that was seen by very few of the people who just saw the movie? My answer: Not so much. I think the die hard trekkies (and if you ask me to call you a "trekker" I will smack you in the Klingon dome piece of yours) will buy the DVD, and why not, if you enjoyed the show, you would probably enjoy this, but saying fans of the movie will rush right out and get this is comparing apples to oranges and oranges always win (I don't know what that means, but whatever).

No comments: