Monday, May 4, 2009

Disney going cheap and following Fox

Disney has announced they are soon to follow FOX's great example, and make a rental DVD, a movie without the bonus features, meant for video stores and online rental companies (Blockbuster and Netflix). Currently FOX is forcing Netflix and Blockbuster to purchase the rental version of their newest movies, saving the special features for retail stores only as a way of lowering costs. Disney has slightly modified their position, and is offering the rental version for sale for a slightly lower cost, and is allowing rental outlets to choose the rental version or the regular version. This could be interesting as Netflix and Blockbuster are forced to choose between quality and cost. The new trend will start with Morning Light, Confessions of a Shopaholic and Jonas Brothers: The Concert Experience.
Maybe it's just because it's early on a Monday, and I'm dodging swine flu, but it seems to me that the more versions they are forced to put out, the more cost there would be. I personally hate that FOX is forcing people to buy the DVD to watch the special features. I'll be honest, I don't watch the special features on everything I rent, but there are quite a few movies that beg me to go behind the scenes to see the process, or maybe watch the chemistry between the actors when the camera is not on, or to get outtakes and gag reals, and to have that option taken away from me is disheartening, to say the least.
That is the main story, which I got from my favorite movie blog, Slash Film, truly a wonderful blog with some great writers, however, there is a sentence in this story that really rubbed me the wrong way: "...most people that rent at Blockbuster probably don’t care about audio commentaries or behind the scenes documentaries." The article goes on to infer that Netflix users do watch special features, where the special features will not be missed by Blockbuster fans. Let me first start off saying I do not use Blockbusters online service, nor do I shop in their stores anymore, I use Netflix, which has nothing to do with the service they provide and everything to do with my history with the company itself. However, after being very familiar with the clientel and the company, I kinda feel insulted, I mean Blockbuster is the home to some of my favorite memories, going all the way back to me as a kid, running through the new release wall, finding that special movie to buy. I understand it is a common belief that Netflix has more sophisticated users, given the fact they need to be able to operate a computer to use it, but that is not to say you can't be a smart movie buff and go to the Block.
What do you think about rental version of DVD's, and do you hit the Netflix, or do you rock the Block, and if so, do you feel slightly insulted, or is it just the swine flu talking?

6 comments:

Brian said...

Sometimes I enjoy the special features more than the film. And if the movie was just "ok" some good behind the scenes stuff will make the experience more enjoyable for me.

I think the movie companies are freaking out because the business model has shifted greatly. DVD sales and rentals are down with the advent of high quality video on demand services. To save money they've been skipping features and using gimmicks and it's just not working.

I like how you defended Big Blue. Though I am trying to picture you running around the the wall as a kid. lol

Kevin said...

I agree that special features can often make the DVD, and not having them can definetly hinder the experience. While I no longer use the Block, I have WAY too many good memories there to be insulted. And, yes, I was that kid that ran around the store, annoying the dedicated, overworked and underpaid employees! :)

Anonymous said...

Dude - My customer would oust those companies like Disney and Fox. All the hardcore "Movie Pass" customer kill for those extras. I still love the Block and will defend most of their moves!!! Personally, unless it is the sing-a-long version, I couldn't care less about extras. =)

-Michelle

Kevin said...

I agree with you, Bell. I think when Block and Netflix customers realize there aren't any extras, there will be a crazy amount of refunds going on there. And, if you could keep any images of me running around that store as a little kid to yourself, I'd appreciate it!

Marisa said...

The idea behind this is that those people who are truly invested in the movie and would really *want* special featured to learn more about the movie... are those who would purchase the film.

Remember that rental copies of movies are produced in MASS quantities, most of which will be damaged within a few years. Producing them without special features is FASTER, without a doubt, and frankly speaks to the audience.

People rent movies for momentary entertainment... any movie that I've ever truly loved from a rental, I've bought - and by then, yes, I'm glad to have special features.

I mean think about it... Yes, the LOTR 4-Disc version was rented a few times, but not NEARLY as often as the standard version. Norm customers (not movie geeks like us) probably won't notice.

Also, this means companies can produce a basic disc for rentals and "Disc One"; saving all the special features for "Disc Two". This would also cut costs, as they just mass produce "Disc One", and only have to produce a limited amount of "Disc Two".

Sorry to get in a tiff, but I personally think it's a smart, streamlined move for Disney (...and Fox I guess).

The Blockbuster vs. Netflix saga is it's own rant; but personally, I have more personal investment and pride with Disney - so that's what got me all huffy :)

Kevin said...

I appreciate the comment! But what I don't seem to understand is how making different DVD's and coverart can be cheaper, I mean, its not like you aren't filming the extra features, you are, you are just now creating another version of the DVD, and unless the DVD is much cheaper, I don't see this as a smart idea. I also think this will hurt rental numbers slightly. I'm sure the casual movie goer will complain a bit, but there will be a lot of people who will be pushed over the edge and buy the movie. I see a lot of trades for Movie Stop in the near future.
While this is defintly an interesting idea, and it is different, I don't see this lasting very long or giving much extra money.