Tuesday, March 10, 2009

More Watchmen news!

Watchmen grossed about $55 million in the box office this weekend, and somehow, people were complaining, hoping for more. Apparently, they projected about $62 mil, and as a result, are now crossing their fingers that it won't be a dud in its second week. What people fail to realize, however, is this is not a Superman, Spiderman or Batman movie, this is more of an unknown, with a very small established audience, as opposed to Batman, where it's hard to find someone who is not familiar with the material. I don't see why it's smart to compare the two movies, besides the audience sizes, we are talking about two very different movies.
I heard someone last night on Attack of the Show say that this movie would be a lot like Bladerunner, which bombed at theatres raked in the dough about 10 years down the line, and due to it's success, recently became one of the highest grossing DVD's of all time. I would say I agree, but I don't think the theater box office will be a bomb, per se. I do see this being a huge cult hit on DVD, but after about a year or two, not 10. And, for the record, I really don't like Blade Runner.
Have a great day, movie geeks!

No comments: