Thursday, September 25, 2008

I am Legend 2

That's right, I am Legend is back, with Will Smith as Robert Neville in a prequel to the 2007 hit with Francis Lawrence returning to direct. This movie will focus on the final days of humanity before the virus takes everyone over.
I really loved Will Smith's performance in the first movie. He literally carried the whole movie, and put so much emotion into the film, I wanted to bust out into tears at some points in the film. However, I thought the movie completely missed the mark on the story, and with news of where the prequel is going, it doesn't sound like they will be hitting the mark here, either.
The book, and what the movie should have been is Robert Neville and these monsters, or vampires, or whatever they are switching roles from hero to bad guy, and the realization at the end is the hook. The 2007 rendition (I say that because there were 3 other renditions) was just showing Smith as a hero, and merely hinted at him murdering hundreds in his rage.
So, I guess we'll see if they can get it right this time around, but more shots of downtown New York overgrown and abandoned can't be bad.

1 comment:

Marisa said...

you just want to think of downtown New York as abandoned b/c that means I'd be back home with you!

Hrm... Now that I think of it... not so bad...