Thursday, September 11, 2008

Brian Singer Who?!

Alright, I have heard enough about this guy, I have to chime in. All these movie critics and fanboys praise Brian Singer as the next coming of Jesus for some reason, and I have no idea why. Lets look at some of his movies, thanks to IMDB.
His most reason box office attack is the dud, Superman Returns:
First of all, I did sorta enjoy this movie, although it was a terribly done movie, and an even worse comic book adaptation. The only good that came out of this movie was Brandon Routh, who played the Man of Steel, and of course, the legendary Kevin Spacey, who played Lex Luthor.
Now, while I can see some really good ideas in this movie, there were too many scenes that were to pay homage to the original. Now, I normally love those things, but like fast food, it's gotta be done in moderation, or it makes people sick. The rest of the cast was sub-par, along with a mediocre script making Superman look too much like a stalker. But, the worst part was the part that is controlled by the director, and that was the shooting of the movie. I thought the pace was slow, the costume was kinda lame, and the the movie just didn't pop like a good comic book adaptation should. I think there were some good ideas here, the execution just fell short.
X2: X-men United: Again, I love the source material. I was a huge X-men fan as a kid, but once again, the execution fell short on this one. I know everyone loves the first 2 movies, but I thought they were a bit slow, and they only touched on what made the X-men a good story, and that's segregation. I mean, this should be a story about how this group of people are protecting the very people that want to hang them. But, instead we get a poor government corruption story and the Captain from Super Troopers using Captain Pica...uh Charles Xavier to kill all the mutants, with a side-note of the bad guy from the first film. Again, great ideas, poor execution with a slow movie, and not nearly enough special effects to call this a visually stunning movie. I don't need Michael Bay explosions every other second, but a bit more action, a little less moping around would be nice.
X-men: At the time, this movie was the formula for all comic book movies. The idea was that it would take an entire film to show off such a vast universe. The downside is, you have to sit through a slow movie, but the second would be worth it. This idea has changed drastically with the conception of Spiderman, and I believe, more successfully Iron Man. This movie does do a good job of setting up 2 characters. You would've thought, however, at 2 hours, you could do a bit more. And, for God sakes, would someone ask Joss Whedon to pencil one of these scripts, it feels like they were written by an 80 year old.
I'm gonna skip Apt Pupil and go to what Singer is known for, and that's the Usual Suspects:
I think this was his claim to fame, and rightly so, I thought this movie was very well done. However, I don't see that there is much he had to do with it, looking at the rest of his movies. I don't see a similar style at all, but the performances and the script were spot on in this movie.

So, if we can get out of the Delorean from that trip in time, in the present, he is currently trying to get a take-2 on Superman, except darker, like Batman. The thought is simple: 'Batman Money, Batman Dark. Superman, no dark, Superman no money....Superman go dark, then get money...so easy caveman do it...' Yes, they all think like that. However, Superman, like Spiderman is not a dark book, and not a dark hero. He's a boyscout, he's social commentary, and he's the icon of a hero, not a dark, brooding guy, clashing with his past. It works for Batman, not here.
So, I haven't really seen anything good about this guy yet, but if anyone thinks of something, please be sure to point it out!

No comments: