Thursday, July 2, 2009

Star Wars Dead?

Well, as many of you know, I'm a huge Sci-Fi geek. In fact, I just recently counted down the top 15 of the genre, and loved every second of it. When you look at my list, you will see every Star Wars movie from the original trilogy, so you might say I am a huge Star Wars fan.

So, that being said, I read some great news on /Film's website today, saying that Lucas is continuing to move forward on a live action television series that he describes a cross between the Sopranos and Deadwood, and plans to shoot 100 episodes, back to back and then shop for a network to air it. Now, I was trying to hold in that little girl squeal, but as I read the comments section, it seemed I was the only one. There wasn't a single little girl peep from anyone, even after it was announced they had hired some great writers, and were even to look at casting very shortly, which means things are moving along.

This lack of enthusiasm for anything Star Wars got me wondering if the franchise had become too jaded by the Jar Jar Binks's, the crappy animated movie (despite the show being all kinds of awesome), bad script writing, and seventy-two versions of the original trilogy. How can the greatest Sci-Fi trilogy of all time not muster any sort of excitement for a continuation of a story?

My first inclination was to find someone to blame, and order a hit on their life. I realized that wasn't the best course of action, so, I started wondering if it was because of the lack of quality, the fact there is Star Wars stuff everywhere, leaving the market over saturated, or if the Sci-Fi loving generation simply died out.

So, since I can't understand the lack of enthusiasm over a new story, set a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, maybe you guys can. What do you think the problem is, and is there a solution, or has Star Wars gone the way of Star Trek, needing a rebirth? Call J.J. right now!

No comments: