Sunday, April 12, 2009

How movies are like sponges

Fast and Furious finished with another $28 million this week, giving the movie a two week total of $130 million, already enough to warrant a fifth movie. Rumors are circling and several websites are reporting Paul Walker and Vin Diesel have signed on and the fifth film will take place in Brazil. This series is a clinic on how to turn a remake of a good action movie (Point Break) and stumble and stumble with an obviously popular concept until there is not a penny left. My guess for the title, follow the fourth films trend of removing words from the original: Fast Furious, or maybe and Furious, or just Fast and... I guess that means, either they will have to change schemes, or they can only have 3 more movies.
Don't get me wrong, I admit, as a guy, there is a mild interest in the fourth movie. I admit, I watched the first two, but I didn't inhale....wait... I was forced into it by a girlfriend? No, huh? Ok, would you believe it was on, and I was too lazy to change the channel.....oh you believe that one, don't you?!?
So, next time you say "they are just making that sequel for the money" (which is ok, it's a business, you can't blame them if people pay to watch it) then you can say they are pulling a Fast and Furious.

No comments: