Friday, April 17, 2009

Box office predictions, Round 1

There has been a lot of talk about box office predictions, and the talk gets only more critical as a Wallstreet esque system arises for predicting the mulah a movie makes. Given that, I am going to start trying to predict how much movies will take in. I assure you, the numbers won't be just whipped out of my....well, you got the idea.
So, today, a report is saying studios are expecting X-Men Origins: Wolverine to bring in $80 million for the opening weekend. That's a pretty hefty amount, here's some numbers to ponder.
Pirates of the Carribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl - $46 million
The Matrix - $27 million
Fast and Furious just released - $70 million
X-men - $54 million
X-men: The last stand (a.k.a. the abomination) - $122 million
Spiderman - $114 million.

Given those numbers, you could say $80 is a pretty good number, considering Fast and Furious had such numbers. I think I will go in the opposite direction with this one, I think opening weekend will be a bit light, despite the fact there is nothing big opening the same day, I'm putting in writing I think the opening weekend will be $73 million.

No comments: