Saturday, December 27, 2008

2008 Best of list

I have seen so many Best of 2008 lists over the past few days, my head is spinning all Exorcist-like. I guess it's typical to look back over the year, as a way of measuring the year. So, I have a few different pics here, along with a top 10. Now, I have not seen every movie or TV show this year, much to my dismay, but the water was calling many times this year, so, that's my excuse.

First off, my top 5 movies of '08.
5) Cloverfield -
This is not going to be on any Oscar lists, that is an issue for another column. This movie had a brilliant idea; put the audience in the mix of a godzilla-esque attack, let them feel the turmoil, the danger. This movie is shot with a first person view similar to Blair Witch, except, it's not some witch, its a huge monster, attacking New York. This movie was brilliantly done, and also, importantly, it was brilliantly marketed.
4) Tropic Thunder-
I just recently saw this movie, and there have been few movies that have made me laugh as hard. The performances, again, were amazingly good, that's right, even Ben Stiller nailed his role. Robert Downey Jr. cemented his trophy as "comeback guy of the decade" with this role. Tom Cruise was in it, and was not only good, he was unforgettable. The script was hilarious, and had a great mocking of Hollywood that, after the laughs, should be looked at. My favorite comedy of the year!
3) Wall-E-
An animated movie that has more heart and soul than most movies I have ever seen. The lead character does not have any lines, other than beeps and groans, and yet, is easily identify able and well acted, better than most actors in movies I've seen this year. On top of that, the special effects were gorgeous, the score was very good, and there were a few morals to this story that will stick with you after the heart-warming ending.
2) Dark Knight -
That's right, number two, but, it's my list, so whatever. I thought this movie was nearly flawless. Amazing performances, a perfectly written story that had a great bad guy, this had great action, good effects. This is a movie that shot to the top of the dollar sign charts and will remain there for some time. The only reason this is second, is possibly due to the original being so good, I wasn't just hoping for perfection, I was expecting it, and it did deliver. The only gripe I have is it's a little long.
1) Iron Man -
Let me start off by saying I know this is not the norm, everyone is putting Dark Knight at this position. The reason why this is here is possibly due to the fact I had very low expectations for this movie, only to be blown away by how well done this movie is. We were fortunate enough to have two movies this year that simply re-wrote how to do a comic book movie. This one did the start off of a franchise perfectly with the right balance of story, humor, and action.

Now, a few winners of 2008 -
Best TV moment - 2008 Olympics, specifically, the finish of Phelps 100 meter Butterfly. He won by .001 seconds! Amazing, I loved it all! A close runner-up was Obama winning the election, and the reaction of the media.
Best TV Show - Burn Notice, with runner-up Chuck.
Best TV male actor - James Roday, Psych
Best TV female actor - Emily Deschannel - Bones
Top movie performance of the year - Heath Ledger, The Dark Knight
Comeback of '08 - Robert Downey Jr., a close runner-up was S.N.L. who thought they were still around? Thanks to Tina Fey, they made a huge comeback election time!
Biggest movie news of the year - Writers Strike
Best original concept - Dr. Horrible's Singalong Blog

No comments: