Friday, October 2, 2009

Paranormal Activity Review

paranormal-activity
When I was 6 years old, I saw Jaws for the first time and was truly terrified my trip to the beach the next day would be my last. Despite my love for the water, I still feel the terror that movie caused. Now, twenty something years later, I experience that true terror again. This time, the terror isn’t in the water; it’s in the bedroom with a movie called Paranormal Activity.

I had heard reports that is was the scariest movie some people had seen, so I sought out the movie and “demanded it” on the films website, and sure enough, the movie came to Tampa (your welcome) but only for a midnight showing. After seeing the movie that only cost a small amount to make, I was truly terrified and amazed at something as simple as a shadow, and a random light turning on could be so scary.

The movie involves a couple who experience some sound effects the girl, Katie thinks are a ghost. When the boyfriend, Micah comes home with a camera, they set up the camera in the bedroom to film the goings on, and see if they can catch a ghost. Fortunately, instead of the comparable Blair Witch Project, Micah was smart enough to buy a tripod so the audience doesn’t get sick. The shot that is setup in the bedroom is the source of dread and terror throughout the film, as night after night, the haunting get more and more intense and the dread and suspense build with no release in sight.

I have to say, this is one of the scariest movies I have ever seen. The acting was pretty good, and the camcorder gimmick wasn’t as annoying as Blair Witch or Cloverfield. After the movie ended, the ending was so shocking, I just sat there, with my mouth open, trying to relax after the great terror I just saw. The most amazing part is this movie has no torture scenes; no blood and guts and no masked man running around with a big knife; in fact you never actually see the source of the terror, which is the scariest part.

I highly recommend this movie for anyone looking for a good scare. This movie is an excellent date movie, because it will get the two of you (or three, I don’t judge) holding each other for comfort; but guys, remember; don’t expect the date to go farther if you scream like a little girl!



EDITORS NOTE: This did appear on Creative Loafing's website. Here is the link, as always, I appreciate the clicks!!  

http://blogs.creativeloafing.com/dailyloaf/2009/10/03/movie-review-paranormal-activity/
 

No comments: