Friday, October 23, 2009

Box office predictions: Trailer vs. dollars

In an interesting chart this week (because you can't argue with a chart) we have a comparison between how popular a trailer is and how popular the movie is. After looking at this chart, which takes some of the top movies lately; it looks to me like how popular the trailer is may actually hurt the movie. And, in some cases, the trailer has no effect at all.

In light of this data, my opinion should change on trailers, but I still think a trailer can be the most useful marketing tool out there, if done right. The problem is, most trailers are done poorly in my opinion, and either give too much away, or go the opposite and don't pull in the audience. I think there are very few great trailers this year. I think I found another post!

So, what do you think, are the importance of trailers diminishing with all kinds of info on the interweb?


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here's a fun fact...look at when the trailers did badly vs. the movie doing well. Those tend to be the kids movies. I don't think that is an accurate depictions, because kids either don't make the decision of what to see (Mom does) or it is going to be one of maybe 2G rated movies out.
-Michelle

Kevin said...

Ya know, that's an excellent point. There hasn't been a lot of G movies out there, and the ones that were out there were huge, despite the terrible lookin' trailers.

I think this chart would be interesting for all the movies of the year.