Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Is Chris Farley on TV a bad thing? I think so.

Recently, DirecTV brought out its newest commercial featuring a scene with Chris Farley and David Spade in the movie Tommy Boy. The commercial has caused quite a stir since it features Farley, who died in December of 1997. So, should people quit being prude and get over it, or did DirecTV actually commit a no no?

I think the commercial isn’t exactly offensive, but I don’t particularly appreciate it. It just feels kind of wrong to be trying to get customers by making fun of a dead guy. While it wouldn’t stop me from getting a DirecTV package if I so chose, I think the advertising tactic is low and immoral.

This isn’t the first time they have been less than considerate regarding a deceased actor. Previously, they ran another ad, featuring Heather O’Rourke, a 12 year old actress who died back in 1988. I just find it hard to believe it’s so hard to find a movie with actors that are still alive.

So, what do you think, do you find it immoral, or am I being too serious with a commercial that is meant to be funny? It’s alright, you can tell me!




EDITORS NOTE: This was published in Creative Loafing's website along with a poll. Check out the results HERE.

No comments: