Tuesday, December 7, 2010

George Lucas plays God

There are perhaps some who wouldn't be surprised by that headline, and there are some who say he is God, and some that just say Star Wars director George Lucas is a moron. The latest rumor surrounding the famous director may strengthen your belief, whichever one you choose.

There is a rumor going around that Lucas is buying up the rights to famous deceased actors so he can digitally recreate them and place them on screen with some of today's famous actors. The question is, is this a brilliant idea that is the next evolution in film, or is it sacrilege.

As a movie geek, I admit I would love to see John Wayne on screen with The Rock, and Sylvester Stallone in an Expendables: Generations movie, or how amazing it would be for Humphrey Bogart to seduce Angelina Jolie. I mean, that's pretty amazing, right? If Avatar taught us anything, it's that technology is getting to the point where it's not only possible, it's looking beautiful.

My movie geekery aside, if there was a deceased loved one on screen; their likeness being used to make stupid amounts of money, I would be pretty upset, and even if I never knew them, I think it would be more than startling to see a deceased actor just walk on to the screen like nothing happened. Would it take me out of the movie? Absolutely.

So, what do you think? Is it ethically wrong? Would you see the movie? And, who would you like to see Lucas resurrect?

No comments: