Monday, December 27, 2010

Does going to the theater really suck?

So, I stumbled upon a blog today from a blog that describes itself as "Film news and opinions from a Film Snob." The title of the article was "A difficult Conversation, or Why going to the movies kind of sucks." In the article, the self-proclaimed film snob said she had defended going to the movies before, but after several trips that included loud people, text messages, and a sandwich, she has come to the conclusion that going to the movies sucks, and you should, if your a film snob, watch them at home.

First off, I don't profess to being a movie snob, nor a music snob, nor a beer snob, or any other kind of snob. I believe at the top of my humble little blog, it uses the phrase "movie geek," mainly because, as described in Doctor Who, a geek is one who is obsessed over a subject material. I don't pretend to know everything, nor do I think my opinions of movies, or even the genre of movie is better than any other.

But, I digress a bit. This post is about whether going to the movies sucks, and I say 'nay.' I love going to the movies. I average a trip or two a week, and I love it. Sure, I despise the text messagers, or the people who sound like they're losing a battle to the Greek legion behind me, and of course, if someone picks up the phone, I'm contemplating how to hide the body, but at the same time, it's part of the experience. Film is meant to be shared with other people. Otherwise, it's just sad. I love sharing movies and experiences with people. Lately, I've realized this more as I sit down to see a movie with my girlfriend that she's never seen. I'm able to see it again for the first time thanks to her, and we are usually better off because of it.

So, does going to the movies suck? Apparently, only if your a movie snob, because I love the popcorn, the excitement and the sharing of an experience with an entire audience of strangers. I guess I'm just old fashioned, or just a movie geek.

What are your thoughts on the matter?

No comments: