Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Film terminology 101

So, I haven't done one of these in awhile, but I found a term I had to look up, so I figured I would share the wealth.

First off, bĂȘte noire - It literally means "Black Beast" and is used as an object in film that is of particular dislike to the audience. A good example I read today was Bruce the Shark in Jaws.

Next, Film Noir - It's a term used primarily to describe stylish Hollywood crime dramas, particularly those that emphasize cynical attitudes and sexual motivations. Hollywood's classic film noir period is generally regarded as stretching from the early 1940s to the late 1950s. Film noir of this era is associated with a low-key black-and-white visual style that has roots in German Expressionist cinematography.
I don't know if I've done that one before, but there it is. The perfect modern example would be Brick.

Another one for you potential film geeks: Jump Cut -An instantaneous cut from one action to another, at first seemingly unrelated, action. Jump cuts will usually call attention to themselves because of the abrupt change in time and/or place.

I'm sure you can think of a film or two regarding this one: Neorealism - A film style using documentary techniques for fictional purposes. Most neorealist films rely on high-contrast black-and-white film, nonprofessional actors, and natural settings. Neorealism began as a movement among a group of filmmakers in Italy after World War II. *cough Blair Witch cough*

So, there you have it. Some film terminology to brighten your day. Now, what other website could you go to where you learn stuff too? No..not that one....oh, yeah, I forgot about that one.....ok, nevermind!

No comments: