Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Why didn't you go see the International?


The suspense thriller starring Clive Owen opened last Friday, the 13th; apparently no one noticed. The movie earned a dismal $10 million its first weekend, giving it seventh place on the big board for the week. Unfortunately, that number is roughly only about $4000 per theatre which officially puts this movie in the flop column.

So, why did this movie fail? Well, I saw a trailer for it a month or two ago and said meh. I saw a trailer again after the Super Bowl and, again said meh. And then, I looked at the board and saw it sucked, which was a bit surprising considering I didn't even know it was opening this week. I know it's hard to beat a horror movie opening on the 13th, let alone a Friday the 13th movie, but I would have thought it would beat out Paul Blart, a movie that has been out for 5 weeks now.

So, the marketing was crappy, the trailer was bad, but the premise looks interesting enough, if not a bit outdated, what about the actor? I think Clive Owen is the man, but his choices for roles lately have been a bit to be desired, and none have really given him success. So, apparently, this movie will be the first of the year to really get a full flop. Poor Clive, his talent deserves better.

No comments: