Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Should Ledger's Jersey be retired?

From an article from my favorite movie site, The MovieBlog.com, they mention an online petition going around, asking for the Joker to be retired from movies, the same way they retired sports jerseys in a sign of respect to the athlete who wore it.
I am all for showing respect to an actor who did a truly extraordinary performance in a roll that had very tough shoes to fill, but I don't think any character should ever be retired because that actor was the only way that character could be portrayed. There are many characters that have been recast lately, despite being a character that is taboo. It seems to me, the fresh, new interpretation is refreshing and often times raises the bar on the character, as did the Joker. Who is to say that is as high as the bar can go? Also, something else the article pointed out that I said 'oh yeah' was "that is one of the biggest things Ledger would not have been proud to be honored by." I agree, it seems to me (because him and I were such good friends) he was truly a fan of the acting, and the art of it. To not try to continue that art would not be an honor to him.

No comments: