Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Mr. Miyagi is cast!

In the new Karate Kid movie, the rumor for the kid was Jaden Smith, Will's son, and a award winner for his first acting gig, the Pursuit of Happiness. The big question would be who would play Mr. Miyagi, made famous by the late Pat Morita. Finally, we get our answer. Mr. Miyagi will be played by the one, the only Jackie Chan! That's right, the Rush Hour star has signed on for the new movie, which will take place in Japan, not in L.A.
I am a huge Jackie Chan fan, however, Mr. Miyagi I can't see. Miyagi strikes me as an older, wiser man, seeking peace, and showing guidance. Jackie Chan has always been the type who jumps in and clears a room, not one who preaches peace. I dunno, maybe as Chan gets older, he will be able to fit in that role nicely.
What do you think, bad casting, or brilliant choice?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree! I read this article this morning. You think a lot of makeup would do the trick?

Wax on; Wax Off!!

-Michelle

Kevin said...

I don't think there is enough makeup. I don't neccesarily need someone to emulate the famous Miyagi. However, the whole demenier of a wise, old guy who could kill people at a thought, while preaching the Spiderman credo "with great power comes great responsibility" is something that is required, and I've never seen Jackie Chan do something like that.
I mean can you see him saying "Daniel-san?"