Friday, October 22, 2010

Reel Terror Film Festival - A Night in Review

On Saturday, horror came to Tampa Bay with the first ever Reel Terror Film Festival. Reel Terror was an opportunity for horror film fans to come together to see some of the best horror films from local filmmakers, generally those who are just trying to make a film not because of money, but because they love to, which is more than refreshing in this day and age. Creative Loafing had some interesting and surprisingly well done movies, a few panels of filmmakers, a first ever life Reel Projections podcast (which I participated in), along with awards and fun.

There were some pleasant surprises in movies, which included the short film Risen, a film about a Ted Bundy esque killer in the middle of a zombie uprising. The shots were clever, along with the performance of Al Mauro, who played Henry, the killer.

Other great films include 2:22, a beautiful short film about a woman who wakes up in a fog, naked and sick, and recalls the terrifying events of the night before. The movie had a great performance, along with some great sound and visual effects. I also enjoyed Wine, a perfectly short film about a wine connoisseur with a bizarre taste in wine. Another memorable short was Simone, about a woman who wakes up after a lesbian filled evening and finds the results of her fun.

There were plenty of other films there that showed, above all else, a passion for film. The audience also seemed very excited to see the films and mingle with the films makers and stars, some of which were on hand to promote the movie, but most of which just seemed excited to be with others who enjoy film.

Overall, it was a really fun experience that I hope will be an annual, or even semi-annual event that had everything a film fan could want.

2 comments:

Jasandra said...

My opinion on the whole thing is actually great. I dont think ive ever experienced something so sureal before.

For someone like me and where i come from (miami)
we dont have many of these festivals..

I actually like the movie buisness, makes me want to make a movie.

It sure didnt inspire me to make a movie but it inspired me to keep up on my writing and get alot of practice, wo knows maybe one day i can write a column for a paper!

BTW, you did great on ur podcast!

Gregory G. Kurczynski said...

Can't believe it took me so long to find this! Thank you for the very generous comments about RISEN. I thoroughly enjoyed the festival and I am looking forward to next year.

Now, when is that podcast going to be posted on CL so I can hear it again and share it with the cast and crew who couldn't attend?