Sunday, October 3, 2010

Movie Review - Catfish

With a tagline of "Don't let anyone tell you what it is," it makes for an enticing movie, and a very difficult movie review. Sure, I would love to discuss what the movie is about, but clearly the tagline prohibits me from doing so, and really, I think it made for a more interesting experience going into the movie with very limited preconceptions.

The movie trailer gives certain preconceptions of my mystery, lieing and betrayal, and when you see what the movie is about, you'll see why the trailer is so brilliant. At first, I thought the trailer completely misrepresented the movie, and I was sort of angry. Then, I thought about why they would do that, and the answer fit in perfectly with the themes of the movie, and finally, I think there was a bit of things that I assumed about the trailer, and it turns out I was wrong, which is even more intriguing, considering it rarely happens anymore.

The movie is a documentary, I think. There seems to be quite a bit of debate online, but it is billed as such. The cinematography was pretty amateur at best, and terrible at worst. The music was very artsy and seemed to imitate the traditional documentary music you see in every documentary (I'm thinking about one where the guy thought his dad was a building). The characters the documentary follows feel very genuine, which leads me to believe it's real, or they are talented actors, and I'm likely to go for the real end.

Overall, the theme of the movie, which I can discuss, is about the people we are when we are online. The simple theme alone is enough to invoke thought. I mean, think about it, are you yourself when you are online? Are the people we are talking to who we think they are? It's an interesting question, and it's a bizarre answer in this movie.

I think this movie will be one of those that you either love or hate, depending on what your preconceptions of this movie are. Either way, it's an intriguing documentary, and if you're up for that sort of thing, you will love this movie.

No comments: