Friday, January 22, 2010

Religon in movies

With The Book of Eli and this weeks addition, Legion, there seems to be no shortage of religeous based ideas. Does that effect your movie decision when picking that movie to go to the theater and blow $90 on?

There are always specific demographics a movie reckognizes and seems to try and concentrate on, and it seems to me that over the past two weeks, the religeous demographic seems to be taking a pounding. As someone who is not a member of such a demographic, I find it odd that they seem to be taking one idea and throwing it at this demographic over and over again. For me, however, the targeting of such a demographic is offturning to me. Don't get me wrong, it's not enough to stop me from seeing such a movie as Eli, or even Legion, it will probably be relegated to Netflix land, however.

So, after babbeling, I'm wondering if I am the only one with this problem. I enjoy getting away from things like religon, government, terrorism, and starvation. Granted, it leaves me with comedies and Sci-Fi, but I enjoy the escapeism.

I think the religeous demographic seems like it could be the most narrow. With rom-coms, targeted at the "female audience," that should get you nearly 50% of the population, and with splosion-type movies, they are geared at the male audience, another 50%, so what do you think the religeous audience is 25%, maybe, or do you think it could encompass as much as 80%?

Just some thoughts, maybe a primer for an interesting discussion, so discuss:

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know my opinion. I think Legion is going for more of an action genre, with some zombie type stuff mixed in. The Book of Eli, you might be right, but I still get a feel of the horrible Kevin Costner flick, the Postman. I think any Denzel movie is going after one demographic...Denzel fans. He plays the same character in everything.
-Michelle

Anonymous said...

You know my opinion. I think Legion is going for more of an action genre, with some zombie type stuff mixed in. The Book of Eli, you might be right, but I still get a feel of the horrible Kevin Costner flick, the Postman. I think any Denzel movie is going after one demographic...Denzel fans. He plays the same character in everything.
-Michelle

Kevin said...

I'm so glad you said that, Bell. I thought I was the only one that thought Denzel gets awards for just bein' Denzel. Where's my award? I play Kevin better than anybody!