Monday, January 4, 2010

Avatar pulls in the dough

I imagine James Cameron is somewhere dancing and saying "nanee nanee boo-boo" and maybe saying "and who thought I wouldn't make my budget back, bitches!" Because when Avatar's budget of nearly $500 million was announced, people cringed, and whinced and said there is no way the movie would make back its money. Well, the most expensive movie ever made just hit the billion dollar mark in 17 days, and it shows no sign of stopping.

In fact, James Cameron is the only director to have not one, but two films smash the billion dollar mark.

The film largly needs to be thanking IMAX for its rediculously over-inflated ticket prices. While that is the best place to watch the masterpiece that is Avatar, $13 per person is a bit steep.

So, anyone want to wager on it beating Titanic for the top grossing film of all time.

1 comment:

Jimbo said...

From my not-so-comfy seat over the Gulf @ 35,000 feet right now, I'm gonna say - publicly - that I was one of the people who didn't think it would make its money back. Therefore - quote me - I was wrong. Yup, I said it, and I won't take it back. Jimbo was wrong-o.

To answer your question, yeah, seeing what I see now, this is gonna blow Titanic out of the water. $3B is definitely possible when all is said and done (meaning tickets, rentals, and royalties).