Monday, January 18, 2010

Avatar wins a Golden Globe

So, when I saw that Avatar won a Golden Globe, I figured it would be for their technical achievments, which would not surprise me in the least. However, when I heard it was for best drama, my jaw hit the floor. Don't the Golden Globe people know sci-fi movies don't win awards? It's in the rules somewhere that for some reason, sci-fi movies are kinda like that weird, smelly uncle at awards shows. Not last night, however, last night, Avatar was front and center for one of the biggest awards, and the biggest upset of the night.

So, this got me to thinking...does Avatar have a shot at the stuffier Academy Awards show in a few months? My first anwser would be no, but as Avatar still continues to dominate the box office week after week, while winning a friggin' Golden Globe, my "no" is starting to get a little shakier. Now, as long as Clint Eastwood doesn't come out with some more Oscar crap, it's possible James Cameron's smelly uncle could shine on Oscar night.

So, what do you think, does Avatar deserve the gold?

1 comment:

Mike said...

Let me start by saying I loved Avatar, and I definately think it's technical achievements deserve recognition. I don't think that it's dramatic facets (if you could isolate them) were among the top 5 movies of the last 5 years, but to just look at this one year, what beats it? The recession affected the movie industry in a big way, if only temporarily.

Some of the better stuff that might have competed was put off to be debuted later when people might have more money to spend, both on production of movies and on tickets.

It was probably a good gamble releasing such a major production during this lurch, everyone who wanted to and could afford to see a movie went and saw this one.