Friday, October 3, 2008

Romero's at it again

George Romero, king of the Zombie movies is at it again. This time, the zombies are on a small tropical island and the island company is debating on whether to kill the zombies, or work to find a cure. The movie is starting production this week, and more than likely will be out sometime next year (a good guess would be October).
First off, let me say I love zombie movies, the cheesier, the better. George Romero is the father of zombie movies, thanks to him, they were brought into the mainstream and the mold was cast. That being said, I am not a fan of Romero's work. I have seen nearly all of them, with the exception of Diary of the Dead, I'm still working on that one (he stole my idea, friggin' jerk). Anyway, his movies all have a "social commentary" undertone with a very slow overtone. The movies seem to be more about a psychological thriller, the problem is, there is nothing psychologically thrilling about a reanimated corpse wanting to eat someone. Other sub genres of horror may be more successful.
Romero's most known movie, Dawn of the Dead has survivors locked up in a mall with flesh eating zombies trying to get in. The social commentary was that of society and their eagerness for purchasing and their priorities. The problem with the movie was the zombies not really being all that threatening, a random motorcycle gang that was just lame, and the fact that there was about 2 hours spent on these people just chilling out in a mall. Never should a zombie movie be boring, and that was.
The remake of the movie lost some social commentary aspects, but gained a much more suspenseful, menacing zombie element. The movie gave the zombies the ability to run, and left the audience with a very dark, twisted ending and Disturb's Down with the Sickness playing, I mean, it can't get better than that.
So, on behalf of Kevin's Movie Blog, I beg you, George, leave the directing of the zombie movies to younger people, or me, I mean, I could do it!

No comments: