Monday, November 22, 2010

Disney done with Fairy Tales? Please no

In a terrifying article from /Film, they quote Disney's head of animation as saying "Tangled will be the last fairy tale produced by Disney’s animation group for the foreseeable future." The article goes on to question whether fairy tale stories are still relevant, along with looking at some of the previous Disney films that haven't exactly rattled the box office cage. While all this is true, this can't happen.

First off, I am not sure if "Disney Animation" and "Pixar Studios" which Disney owns are considered the same thing, which could mean that all Fairy Tale creatures, both benevolent and and benign will be handled by Pixar, as apposed to Disney. However the possible astrix goes, this is a dark day indeed.

Some of the greatest cinematic memories I have from my childhood involve Disney. I mean, you had the classics like 101 Dalmatians, and Little Mermaid, and Beauty and the Beast, and my personal favorite Lion King, and Aladdin, amongst so many others. It's a staple of youth, and to not add any new ones is silly. These movies are like the theme parks themselves, they take you to another world of magic, and wonder, and can make anyone, no matter the age feel like a kid, and while I'm not talking about the end of that per se, it sure feels like it.

Now, the article also has a Facebook exert saying that it's a bunch of bologna, but the quote, if you trust the L.A. Times, came from somewhere, which means the idea is being tossed around, and I don't like treasured cinematic movies like Disney fairy tales being toyed with. Do you?

1 comment:

Jasandra said...

You’ve got to be kidding me right? This is horrible news for me. I for one LOVE Disney movies. I grew up on Lion King, Beauty and the Beast, The Little Mermaid, Lady and the Tramp, Cinderella. If they take away all the fairy tales...Then how would a girl dream or have hope for her prince charming. This is some serious ish right here. I for one and very disappointed and I truly hope they don’t do that. I Love Disney’s Pixar but no more fairytales... That will deff bum out alot of people. I sure hope they don’t do it and if the L.A. Times has heard of it then some people are talking more that they should.