Saturday, July 31, 2010

Movie innocence

I hope everyone is having a good weekend. To all my readers out there, prepare for some serious writing, as The Hopp.NET reaches August, I will try to have one post every day, at least for the month of August as an attempt to get my lazy ass in gear and get some good writing done. I have had some fleeting moments of inspiration, but I can't seem to get it down before something comes up. So, I'm going to try to hope that those moments come when I'm writing this month and I can capture it. Until then, here's a thought:

I was watching The Matrix this afternoon. It's one of my favorite movies of all time, and as I watched the beginning with Trinity doing some crazy stuff, leading to a great rooftop chase scene, I was thinking back to the first time I saw the movie. I was in a theater with my best friend Michael at the time. We were still in middle School, and we sat down and were blown away at what we saw. We spent the rest of the night discussing the philosophical implications, the mechanical issues, and the amazement our innocent eyes had just witnessed.

It left me wondering if that innocence can ever be duplicated again. I'm approaching 29, and I don't know if the amazement of a great movie will ever quite grip me as that movie did. It may have been a more innocent time, when I didn't know the movie secrets, or the tricks, or the meaning behind the movie or the fact that I hadn't seen the volume of movies I've seen now. So, with that, does that mean that sense of joy and wonderment is gone? I hope not.

That is one reason why I like Inception so much, is due to the fact that I caught a glimpse of that wonderment from my youth, as that little kid watching a movie with his friend did battle with the movie critic you see now. It was a good moment, but how often will another come along?

Do you ever have a problem with your jaded self fighting that little innocent kid inside you? Tell me about it!

No comments: