Friday, July 2, 2010

Grownups - Some thoughts

Well, I didn't feel like doing a full review for the movie. There are plenty of reason, from me being really lazy, to being kinda busy, and mainly because it kinda fits the movie to just sit around and shoot the shit over the movie.

Grownups is an Adam Sandler movie, which automatically comes with some biases, depending on your opinion of him. For me, I am not a big fan of Sandler. I think his jokes are more than a bit tired, and he hasn't been in a good movie since The Wedding Singer. Anyway, I digress. The movie is about Sandler's character, and his pals, who, after enjoying some youth innocence and winning a basketball game, all go their own ways, until the coach of the team dies and brings them all back together. And when they get back together, they all crack jokes, and make fun of each other.

There are those who say this movie was just an excuse for Sandler to sit around with his friends and crack jokes and have a good time, and for the most part, I agree. There was a lot of that, and his friends seemed to be loving it.

Kevin James was the comedy in the movie. He did the physical comedy, set up most of the punchlines and also was most of the heart in the movie. I think he's a skilled comedian, and it showed here. His cast members weren't really there to back him up, however. Chris Rock was kinda in the background, along with David Spade, and Rob Schneider was the idiot in the group, leaving Sandler as the real straight-faced guy, along with his sidekick, James.

I actually, didn't hate the movie, I sort of liked it. What I didn't like, though, were the characters. Not one of them were particularly likable. Sandler was a Hollywood guy, who was a total D-bag, married to a nasty Selma Hyack; Chris Rock was a pansy house-wife; Rob Schneider was creapy; David Spade was...well, I don't even know, but pathetic comes to mind and Kevin James was a below-average family-man.

As I said, I didn't hate the movie, because, as the movie went on, and they realized they needed to throw a plot into the movie, they picked a good one, in trying to make time with a family, and realizing how important your family is and all that, so by the time the movie is over, you feel like the characters that ended on film wasn't half bad for a family flick.

Overall, you could really do worse with some of the movies in this summer season, but I would say, unless you're bored, wait for it to come out on DVD, and throw it in the ol' Netflix queue.

No comments: