Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Blockbuster closing 960 stores!

blockbuster

That's right, you saw that correctly. The movie store chain responsible for most of the movie geekery in my childhood and many others is closing 20% of its stores this year. The stores are moving toward the kiosks that Redbox made famous. The move looks to save them #30 million annually.

I have made this clear before that the Block will always have a special place in my heart. I gave the company quite a few years of my life, and I met some truly wonderful people that I still stay in contact with. I don't like their business model, however. Just recently, I reported Blockbuster had cut down on its movie inventory to make room for shirts, and other movie apparel. Now, they are showing their reactive side by seeing Redbox made some money, and they should follow suit, just as they did with that horrible online program they have.

With moves like these, its a wonder the store is still standing, but I'm still hoping they can turn it around. I would hate to think my Niece, Han Solo, will not grow up being able to shop the wall at the Block.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just have to say....I made a prediction in May 2007 that it would be under 5 years and Blockbuster will be out of business.

I truly love that company, but I agree with the lack of business model.
-Michelle