Thursday, March 4, 2010

Movies you just don't see the fuss over...

One of the many blogs I read daily is a blog called Denofgeek.com. It's a great sight because they are film geeks and aren't afraid to show it. When I first read the column they had today, I was worried about what they call "flame bait," which is when you write something to be contrary, just to piss people off enough for them to click on your story and write a comment. And, for the most part, it was an interesting column. The column was movies their staff writers thought was just not interesting, or atleast not as good as most think. Some of the ones on their list was Mullhullond Drive, Love Actually, Star Wars, The Matrix, V for Vendetta, and The Hangover.

Now, by the list, you could see a couple of those were quite contrary to my opinions, especially the Star Wars and The Matrix posts. While most of the posts gave great reasons why they didn't like the movies (and, hey, your allowed to like different things, it's ok) the Star Wars post seemed to be the most inflamatory.

Either way, it got me thinking about what I would put on the list, and why. So, since I don't write for that site, here are a couple of my movies I would say "meh" to.

1) Blade Runner - I am a huge Sci-Fi fan, as you can probably tell from my favorite movies list. I love the genre, and so many of the movies in it, even the bad ones, but for the life of me, I can't sit through this movie. Harrison Ford is there to chase down disguised robots in the near future and is so boring with line delivery, and plot, the movie puts me to sleep, something no Sci-Fi movie should ever do. Besides that, I simply never give a flying frak about any of the characters and whether they're secretly robots or not. Again, if you like it, that's cool, but I don't.

2) Godfather - I swear, this isn't meant for flame-bait, but I simply can't get into this movie. I know I'm supposed to love it, and herald it as the next coming of Jesus (or, as the spanish say, Jesus), but I just can't help but wonder what's on TV while watching it. I have never been a fan of mob movies, and don't find a bunch of Italian Americans all that interesting, so, three hours later, I'm wishing I watched the Room, instead.

3) Gone with the Wind - The greatest movie of all time, according to AFI, and I can't make it through all 3 hours and change. This is another one that the film community tells me I should like, but I say "Nay." I've got it, it's a love story, Scarlett is kind of a bitch, lets move on, maybe there's a rerun of some TV episode on instead. So, sorry AFI, you got it wrong. (In my opinion).

So, there you have it, my three movies that I say I don't like. Do you agree? What about your pics?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with Blade Runner and the Godfather. (The Godfather, I tried 3 times and fell asleep every time.) It is also too hard to tell them apart. Everyone is dressed too closesly alike.

I disagree with Gone with the Wind, but not completely. It was good, just not OMG!

I would add ET to this. I hated that movie. I thought it was too scary, and too stupid at times.
-Michelle

Kevin said...

E.T.? The Extra Friggin Terrestrial? I would admit the scene when all those government guys come in, and Elliott is getting all pale is kinda creapy, and Drew Barrymore does need to get punched in the face, but that's as far as I'm going.

I would totally agree with the rest of the comment, though.