Tuesday, March 2, 2010

The Block is at it again

Alright, I just have to get this out there: I am so glad I no longer work there!

Ok, so, on to the news. Blockbuster is trying to keep it quiet, but they are slowly phasing back in late fees, starting next week. As of about 5 years ago, late fees were about 22% of the total revenue of the brick and mortar stores, and was the biggest strain on my wallet since my addiction to movies. After Blockbuster got rid of late fees and just charged people for the movie in order to try and stay competitive with Netflix, they realized they no longer had movies to rent.

So, now, like a flashback to 10 years ago, late, uhh, "Extended Viewing Fees" are back, but a bit more generous. Now, it's a flat $1 per day, up to $10. So, technically, you could keep out the movie for three months, and all you would be charged is 10 bones. I don't think it's a bad deal, but if you keep it out for a week, the $10 plus the $4 and change it costs for the movie, you could buy the movie. Atleast you don't have to worry about seeing those people who came in with an $87 late fee bill, and pretend not to laugh as they pass out.

I think this is a step in the wrong direction for The Block, and is just another nail in the closet. I personally don't think they should've gotten rid of late fees, but now they have, they can't go back, and attempting to do so will just alienate the four customers they have left.

Oh well, it was good while it lasted, Blockey!

3 comments:

Rabid Nick said...

It turns me on when you say "brick and mortar".

Silly Blockbuster.

Anonymous said...

Wow. How do you explain this to customers? "Uhhh...yeah....sorry about that. Money please!"

God protect my blockbuster in Orlando and may never a golf club weeling psycho go after them again!

-Michelle

Kevin said...

Bell, that was the best comment ever!

And, I agree, that is going to be the worst experience for an employee of all time. I'm pretty sure they should just distribute riot gear to all employees and hope for minimal casualties.