Thursday, September 22, 2011

A Wedding to Remember Part XIII: Mega Parents vs. Giant In-Laws

With a little over a month before the big wedding, we had finally decided to make that huge step in our relationship. You know the one I’m talking about, right? No, not that one! Geez… they don’t allow monkeys in city limits anyway, you sicko. No, I’m talking about having her parents and my parents meet. It’s a big, dangerous, crazy, wacky step, but it must be done. With the wedding looming, making sure her family and my family meet ahead of time is not only crucial, it will ease some of the stress.

It’s been a bit difficult on my beautiful fiancée because her parents and nearly her entire family live down in Miami. It’s about a four to five hour drive from our house, one we don’t make that often due to it taking up 3 days out of a 2 day weekend, and because we’ve been pretty busy, and gas isn’t as cheap as it used to be. Either way, I should overcome those excuses and get down more to see my future in-laws, and her parents, especially given the fact so many things are going on, I know my future wife wants to share them with my future mother-in-law.

So, that being said, I haven’t gotten down as much as I should, and my parents and her parents have never met. I had a few good things going on my side, though. First off, my parents are slightly above the ‘amazing’ category, which puts them just below ‘covered in fairy dust.’ They have been incredible through this wedding planning process, and I’m very lucky. Also, her parents are amazing. They have been so kind and warm and welcoming, it’s impossible, just like their daughter, to not love them. The final thing is that my future wife is Cuban, and in my experience, Cuban people are very friendly (is it stereotyping? Maybe, but shut up, I’m being nice!).

So, her parents were riding into town, along with her uncle and aunt for the bridal shower (similar to a baby shower, only way more alcohol). Both my fiancée and I were nervous, near terrified at everyone meeting. The night before, my parents met my future mother-in-law, and believe it or not, my future wife and I were silent for well over an hour as the three talked like they had been friends for years. It was a relieving sign, whether they were working at it to be nice to us or whether it flowed freely, everyone had a big smile on their face, including us. The day of the shower came, and her parents and my parents met at our place for the single, greatest Cuban meal of all time. My parents, her parents, some good friends and her uncle and aunt talked, and drank and laughed, and ate and had a great time, all the while, my future wife and I just soaked it all in. This is what we were hoping for; one big, happy, loud, full family, under one roof, enjoying each other’s company.

So, we all lived, no one was cut on, and no one was injured, no wacky shenanigans to talk about, just anticipation on when it will happen again. Now, old friends, and soon to be family, things were really looking up. Of course, I wasn’t worried. I knew it would be easy from the beginning. I did! I was just joking about being nervous before.

It’s a big step towards the future family my gorgeous bride and I have in mind, and it was so smooth. Was that a good sign of things to come or what?
No, seriously…I wasn’t nervous at all!

No comments: