Thursday, January 13, 2011

Tron 3: De-rez

I just made up the title, but the "Tron 3" part is happening. What, no dropped chins? No gasping for air at the shock? No, me either. A follow up to a remotely successful franchise is as normal as breathing in Hollywood, and Tron: Legacy looks to be on par to atleast break even. But is Tron 3: De-Rez a good idea? (And, by the way, Hollywood, I expect my royalties check for that title)

We all know how the third movie is usually the downfall of the franchise. Do I have to cite examples? Ok. Aliens 3, Major League 3: Back to the Minors (yeah, I whipped that out), Spiderman 3, X-Men 3: The Last Stand, Terminator 3, Star Trek 3: The Search for Spock, Tremors 3 (or as the Spanish say "Tembelores"), Godfather Pt. 3, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 3. I could go on and on, but you get the point. And, notice, I didn't mention a few other third-parters, and if anyone says something about Ewoks, there will be stuff going down.

Anywho, I digressed a bit, but you get the idea, third movies generally mark a serious drop in quality and originality, so why would Tron be any different? My answer is it won't. It probably won't be any good, especially given the events of Tron: Legacy effecting the characters and the world quite a bit.

That being said, I'm not a negative Nancy, or even a negative Ned, so I will still be as giddy as a school boy when it comes out, and I will still race to see it, hoping it will rock my world. And if you say you won't do the same thing, then...well, that's just not cool.

What do you think? Tron 3 a good idea? Tell me!

No comments: