Thursday, January 6, 2011

Movie Review - Country Strong

I didn't think I would enjoy Country Strong when I saw the trailer. While it looked like it would have some good performances, I am not a country music fan, and I usually don't like music dramas; I think the movie is all about the performance, and not enough about the story. I like Gwyneth Paltrow, and I heard she actually sang in the movie, but I didn't think it would be enough. So, when I tell you I went home and downloaded, uhh, I mean, bought the soundtrack, you'll realize this movie is impressive to say the least.

The movie is about Paltrow's Kelly Canter, who is a famous country singer who has fallen after falling off a stage, drunk and pregnant. Now, recovered, Kelly attempts to return to her old life with a husband who can't forgive her, played by Tim McGraw, as she drags two rising stars into the light in Garrett Hedlund and Leighton Meester.

First off, you expect a good performance out of Paltrow, and she more than delivers with some great performances and some amazing singing. She plays the broken singer really well, and she hides the one thing you expected, her singing talent until the end, and when you hear it, you will be more than satisfied. Her characters actions make you root for her, only to be disappointed through most of the movie, but the longer she's on screen, the more you want her to get back on her feet.

The surprising part, however, is how she nearly gets out done by Tron: Legacy star Hedlund, who plays Beau, a country star in the making, and someone who has a soft spot for Kelly, and other rising star, Chiles Stanton (Meester). The performances were all absolutley outstanding, with Paltrow and Hedlund leading a good performance from McGraw, and a surprisingly sufficient performance from Meister.

While the performances were amazing, the music was the star. The stars apparently sang the songs themselves, and they made a non-country music fan smile. The songs were heartfelt and extremely well done with a mix of slow and upbeat songs, along with an intimate song or two in there.

If there is one fault, it's the pace of the story, which can wobble a bit, when you're not sure of character motivations, or whether the end will truly be the end. I can tell you the movie is a little mixed in the middle, but the end will amaze you and will make up for any shortcomings you find. The movie plays much like your average country song, with plenty of heart, a lot of love, some sadness and plenty of strength. There were a few tissues in the theater I was in.

Overall, it was a great movie whether you like country music or not, simply for the performances. There was a surprise or two, and some expected great performances. I expect some possible recognition come Oscar time. While it may not be able to dominate the awards, is should leave a mark.

No comments: