Thursday, November 3, 2011

A Wedding to Remember

October 15, 2011. A day that will live in infamy. The day some dorky little movie nerd found his soul mate and married the love of his life.

So, it's a bit dramatic, but hey, I'm a writer! I can't just write "I got hitched, yee haw," they'd take away my license or something. For the past 8 months, I've referred to my significant other on this blog as "my future wife," "fiancee," or "my love," but now, it's official, she's my wife, she's Mrs. Hopp. Yeah, pretty sweet, right? In case you weren't there, let me tell you what happened.

What? Yeah, I guess she now owns the rights to TheHopp.NET too. No, she isn't taking over, but talking about perks, eh? Ok, back to it....

So, it started with me arriving at my parents house. Most of the guests had already arrived, and my family and friends were already coming up and hugging me, wishing me the happiest of times. Little did they know that would be coming as soon as she said "I Do." I wasn't allowed to see the bride (see A Wedding to Remember: Bad Juju), but she was there, which was a relief. Without looking, I shouted that I loved her, and I heard her say that she loved me. Neither of us could see the other, but we both could feel the others tension...and love.

With last minute things coming together, the next thing I know, I was walking my sobbing mother down the isle, the music was playing, my mother was crying, and I think there were some other people there. I can't be sure. I heard a lot of pictures being taken, as I took my place under the arch as the wedding party descended on me. They all looked amazing, as the people that mean the most to my wife and I came and joined me in anticipation of my bride. Then, it happened: The Star Wars theme played. What were you expecting? See, I had asked the DJ if he could do that, ya know, just a snippet. No one seemed keen on the idea, so I dropped it, asking the DJ to do the normal thing. Well, my incredible wife changed it back on me, and yes, the award for greatest bride is already in the mail.

Finally, after I finished laughing, I saw her. And my mouth, for once, stopped working. I truly wanted to say something poignant, or meaningful, ya know to show how blown away I was, but all I could come up with was "wow." My mouth hung open like a Venus Fly Trap, awaiting flies, as this amazingly beautiful woman came walking to me. I had never seen something so angelic, so beautiful, and so awe-inspiring. I started shaking, feeling the full force of the situation hitting me like a ton of bricks, so I let out another "wow." Yeah, eloquent, right?

So, there we stood, holding each other's hands as we cited our vows. No, I didn't use the word "obey," but she did tell me she reserved the right to cut me if need be. We spoke our words, we poured our sand together, and exchanged rings. I said "I do," knowing that my life would change for the better right now. She said "I do" too, and I finally took my first breath of the day. It was over. We were married! Just like that, the dream, from childhood to adulthood just happened. I think I let out another "wow." Someone got me some champagne, as we took pictures, ate an amazing dinner, and partied the night away. All of it was perfect. The centerpieces were beautiful, almost everyone that meant something to me was there, in support of us, and we had so much fun, doing the wedding thing, throwing garter belts and bouquets.

I tried to soak up the wonderful, wonderful evening. I don't think I got it all, and as I look through pictures, I get a huge smile, remembering the amazing day I had. It ended with a trip to a hotel on the beach, as we partied even more with some friends, still in shock over the piece of jewelry on my finger. "So this is what it feels like to be married" I whispered to her as we went to bed. Now, the honeymoon!

No comments: