Thursday, November 3, 2011

A Wedding to Remember Part XVI - Iiiittttss heeerreee

Today is the one year anniversary of the love of my life and I becoming an official couple. It's also the day we plan on becoming officially husband and wife. So, as you can imagine, it's a pretty big day.

It started with the rehearsal dinner last night. My future wife was terrified, as we went through the motions, as everyone else around us seemed happy and care-free, we were nervous as could be. There's something about practicing the long walk that gets your mind set for the big event. So, as I took those steps, I thought back to January, when I proposed, or last October when I told her I wanted to be her boyfriend, or the first time we talked about marriage, or when she moved in with me. There was a lot that happened, but nothing could prepare me for what was about to happen. I was about to vow to be with her forever. Did you hear that? "For...EVER."

Make no mistake, it's scary. It has nothing to do with doubt, but have you ever bought a house or a car? It's a scary process, and very nerve-wracking to say the least. Well, imagine that, but with a way, way, way longer loan, and all your closest friends and family there. Oh, and the car could say no. Yeah, starting to understand, aren't we? To make it worse, there's no warranty, it's just you and the car, and maintenance is way more than every 30,000 miles. Even more so, you can't possibly live without the car. Yeah, so you get the idea, it's pretty big. Not to mention, everyone has thought about buying the car for as long as they could remember, and you've spent 8 months planning the signing of the contract for the car...ok, enough of the car metaphor, you get the point, right?

When I was younger, the idea of marriage was a cool one. I thought it was something that eventually would come, and it would be cool, and all would be well. As I got older, that thought started to fade, and it was back there with the dream of becoming a rockstar or an astronaut, ya know, way back, further than that dream of you at school in your underwear. So, as my hopes had faded about marriage, I began thinking of it as something that would just not happen to me. So, as I rehearsed the walking of isles, I realized not only was I wrong, but that dream I had when I was younger was of right now, and "cool" just doesn't describe it.

So, we rehearsed our thing and went to dinner. We had the whole bridal party, friends and family a like, and we celebrated and ate and drank and everything just kinda slowed down, became a little out of focus and became more like a movie than real life. It was perfect.

So, here I am, with tables set, the DJ ready, and finally, the centerpieces are done. We've come a long way from that fiesty Cuban I first met, playing video games. The girl I was terrified to kiss is putting on a white dress, thinking about being with ME forever, looking more beautiful than I thought was possible in my wildest dreams. Sure, the entire nation of Cuba is running through my house, but it's because they want our day to be perfect, so, with so much love, how can it not, right?

My brother-in-law and best man is on his way over, just in case I need a bit of help with the tux, the food is done, and I'm off to meet my bride. It's a good day! Today, I do feel like a rockstar, and I feel like I'm in outer space. When that woman walks down the isle, it'll be official; my wildest dreams will have come true.

No comments: