Monday, July 11, 2011

A Wedding to Remember Part XI: Lord of the Rings


With three months, nearly to the day, this whole wedding thing is really happening. Flowers are being grown, beer and wine are being brewed, food is being planned, and tables are being cleaned. The event I’ve been thinking about since I met my future fiancée is right around the corner now, and that realization picks odd times to hit me.

It hit me last night, when we picked up my wedding band. We had gotten my future wife’s band a few weeks ago, since hers is the important one, and it had to match her engagement ring. So, mine was easy, compared to hers. On top of that, I could’ve had a gasket from an engine, for all I cared, it wasn’t the metal on my hand, but the fact that it symbolized my soulmate and would be a constant reminder that I hit the jackpot. However, a gasket would not simply be enough for my fiancée, as we hit several stores and scoured the web to find something I liked. So, once I had it in my hand, the realization that our rings would be worn in 90 short days, for the rest of our lives hit, and hit hard. I can say, I don’t think I’ve ever been so happy.

After getting nearly everything done, the rings were a big, very symbolistic step that showed that this thing was almost here. I had the ring in my hand, and she had hers; no more planning, or thinking about centerpieces (although she's still working that part out), it's ring time. The thought was exciting, and was as much adrenaline as I could take. Here I am, going over wedding plans that are done, and tuxes that are ready, and tables that are about to get organized, and it's a big difference from six months ago, when this whole thing started, and I asked her to marry me.

Toward the end of the planning, you start to think about the beginning; how my fiancee started to get stuff done from the words "I do." I remember talks on money, and centerpieces, and colors and dresses, it seemed like so much to handle. I remember thinking there was no way my little brain could handle any more. Look at us now, we've got this stuff done, and we did it together, which makes it a million times better.

I have figured out planning a wedding is a lot of work. I will say this, though, the wedding planning can have a huge impact on your wedding. Fortunately for us, looking back, it has made us so much stronger, as a couple. There were times where I thought centerpieces would kill me, but she was always worth it. There were other times where getting something setup was the most exciting thing in the world, and we were there with each other, ready to do this. Through all of this, I love my future wife more than I ever thought I could, and she continues to amaze me daily.

Now, can I wear my ring, yet? And, do I sleep on the couch if I call it 'my precious?'

1 comment:

Jasandra said...

I LOVE YOU SIRE HOPP