Friday, July 1, 2011

A Wedding to Remember Part X: The Beast

Every guy has heard this myth; this story; this terrifying of tale, usually around a campfire, with whispers and a shaky voice, the idea that one event can turn a calm, wonderful woman into a snarling, growling, horrible beast known as "Bridezilla." The myth is said to be true, and like a werewolf, things just change and the world will never be the same.

I've heard this story, like so many others have, in fact, I've known people that have actually seen the beast, and I was even warned the beast could come for me and my beautiful fiancee. So, here I am, 3 months away from the big day with my garlic, and silver cross and steaks (I don't know why I have a steak, but I'm hungry), waiting for the beast to come, to devour me and rip me to shreds with it's horrifying claws, to be attacked and maimed by the beast, but it hasn't come.

Both my beautiful fiancee and I are going through this marriage thing for the first time, and like every wedding, there has to be a bit of drama, just to keep you from feeling like you are super people. It's been entertaining because it's not just planning a wedding, it's planning a wedding on a tight budget, while trying to make everyone as happy as we can. It's a delicate act, to be sure, and like always, my fiancee just goes and does it, completely unaware that it's difficult, or impossible, or even a challenge. When she does it, she looks back, wondering why I'm staring in amazement.

So, with all this going on, and life doing its very best to get in the way, I was fully prepared for the mythological beast I had heard about around the campfire at Lake Tinykaka. The beast never came, and I'm left more in love than the day before. I do see where the beast could pop up, simply because there is just so much than can happen, and so much pressure over a three hour event. The things that go wrong is staggering, but apparently, the antidote to bridezilla is love, and patience, and realizing that at the end of the day, the person you care about more than anything in the world will be married to you, no matter what the flowers look like. It's stronger than garlic, or silver or even a cross. Look at me figuring shit out, right? Take THAT Van Helsing!

No comments: