Tuesday, April 26, 2011

"Our Relationship" - A work in progress....

EDITORS NOTE: This is a work in progress, and just hear for the ease and convenience of me, Kevin



Star crossed lovers, love at first sight, being blinded by love; these are all silly cliché’s that don’t really happen in the real world, right? The prince isn’t really a prince, and he never, ever meets his princess right? They don’t fall in love and live happily every after. Silly stuff like that only happens in stories. Surely, something as silly as true love can’t exist. That’s what I thought … until I met her.

The story doesn’t start off “once upon a time,” rather; it was August in Florida, which means it was about four degrees hotter than hell out. I was trying to stay cool, as I was battling a particularly long stretch of lonely. Things were going rough, bills were everywhere and there weren’t many positives in my life. I was about as far from “prince charming” as you could get. I had pretty much written off the idea of love, and was just looking for a slightly higher quality of life with my dog and I.

One day, my roommate was talking about a friend of his. She was interesting, and different, and she sounded too good to be true. She was Hispanic, and smart, and pretty. I had already written her off. Anyone that amazing was way out of my league. When she walked through my door, I hadn’t even bothered dressing up. She was hanging out with my roommate, and I was too jaded to even bother trying to impress. When I met her, however, everything changed.

The woman of my dreams was sitting down, telling me how she would whoop me in Mario Kart, while enjoying a conversation with me about movies or something. I felt this huge, stabbing pain in my back I instantly recognized as Cupid’s arrow. Everything seemed to glow, and I regretted my decision to not dress a bit better. Despite my rags, and me beating her in video games (at least once), she actually wanted to see me again. I swore I was dreaming until our first official date. At that point, all the jaded, misguided ideas of love not existing disappeared, and my cold, non used heart warmed as I used it for the first time.

From our first date on, I did everything wrong. There was hardly a rule in the official date book I didn’t break, including blurting out the words “I love you” extremely early. However, the girl of my dreams smiled and told me she had loved me back, and that we would make our own rules. From that moment on, there was no doubt I had found my soul mate. I had never known happiness before that faithful August day, and after seeing Heaven every day, I could never go back.

It was January, and we had dated for three months when we first dropped the “M-word.” Both of us eased into the conversation like a Floridian would ease into 40 degree water. We realized we both wanted to spend our lives with each other. We were so excited; there was no sleeping for days. So, I went and found a ring that I liked, and my parents asked me to use my grandmother’s diamond for the main diamond in the ring.

Everything had gone surprisingly smooth, despite me being terrified and completely clueless. Despite it all, I didn’t care; I just wanted to ask the woman of my dreams to marry me. We had already planned a trip to Disney when I finally got the ring. I was going to wait until the right time to propose when I decided I couldn’t wait. So, with the help of my friend, we planned it out, and I asked her in front of Cinderella’s Castle. It was the greatest moment of my life, and it was perfect, because I truly had found my princess, and in that odd moment; the one in a billion shot, the guy does find true love, and marries the woman of his dreams.

So, the story may not start out “once upon a time” but it does end with a “happily ever after.”

1 comment:

alt com said...

It's an interesting story on how you met and got hooked in the end.