Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Movie Review - Easy A - Starring Emma Stone

The late John Hughes was an exceptional writer. He was known for being able to capture and write teen angst better than anyone. Movies like 16 Candles and Pretty and Pink and the all time classic, Ferris Bueller's Day off were easily identifyable to nearly anyone. This movie takes those movies and brings them into the present, fully aware of the shoulders it stands on.

This movie is an incredibly self-aware movie about a girl who lets one little lie about sleeping with a fictional boy snowball into a school-wide affair, bringing in teachers, and students alike. Olive (Emma Stone) sees a likeness between her new found infamy and the book The Scarlett Letter.

First off, any praise you heard of Stone is well earned. You'll remember the rising star from Zombieland, and she is exceptional here as a wise beyond her years high school girl who enjoys the fact she's being talked about, despite it being about her being a slut. The emotional drama she goes through is very good, and Stone carries the movie perfectly.

The other characters in the movie, including Amanda Bynes, Lisa Kudrow and Thomas Hayden Church are surprisingly shallow, given the depth of the lead. There really isn't any other character, including the parents that are note worthy. I found the rest of the casts attempt at being witty slightly forced, like a Diablo Cody script (see Jennifers Body). I was in high school, and life's problems weren't always solved by a healthy dose of sarcasm and pop culture references.

That being said, the movie captures the essence of a John Hughes movie quite well. It has heart, and it does a great job of capturing the social anxiety and pressure of high school kids without asking you to feel sorry for them. Overall, it was an entertaining movie that is just another stepping stone on the way to greatness for the talented Emma Stone.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I thought this movie was very entertaining. It had me laughing pretty much most of the movie! I did rent it merely because I'm a big fan of Emma Stone, so I was glad to see her do another great job on a film she is the star in. I didn't get to see the movie in theaters, but I just start subscribing and working with DISH Network so I was able to rent it with my Blockbuster by mail trial that I got for becoming a new customer. It's good for three months, so I made sure to put Zombieland in my queue, because it’s another great Emma Stone movie I just can't get enough of! Check out the details http://bit.ly/khvWnc. :)