Thursday, August 5, 2010

Movie Review - Scott Pilgrim vs. The World

Have you ever heard of Bob-Ombs? Have you ever played DDR? What about Super Mario Bros.? If you answered "no" to any of these questions, than you may not be the target demographic for Scott Pilgrim. If you said "yes" to any of these, then you are going to love the stylized comic book/arcade game movie by Edgar Wright, the same Edgar Wright who brought us Spaced, Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz. While I think Scott Pilgrim could be a love/hate kind of movie, I doubt anyone will dislike the look and sound of the movie.

Scott Pilgrim is a movie based off a graphic novel (which I have yet to read) about a guy (Michael Cera) meandering through life. He has a band, called the Sex Bob-Ombs and lives in a tiny apartment in Canada; he even has a girlfriend named Knives. Everything is perfectly mediocre until Scott meets the girl of his dreams in Ramona Flowers (Mary Elizabeth Winstead). Once they date, Scotty finds out he must defeat the girls baggage in her seven evil exes (not boyfriends). Now, Scotty has to man up if he hopes to defeat the exes and win Ramona's heart.

First off, the movie is shot incredibly differently. Again, it should be a love/hate kind of thing. I thought it was amazing. It looked like I was watching a live-action comic book, with sound effects being spelled out, and panels flying by, and windows describing characters, it was all very cool. The best part was the fight scenes. Once the Evil Exes showed up, things went from good to incredible as Scott fought enemy after enemy in over the top arcade fighting, leaving the loser vaporizing into a pile of coins. The sound was also very indie-rock and very fitting for the movie, despite being very "hipster-esque."

The cast was quite good. Michael Cera was Michael Cera, to no surprise. While his act is getting kind of old, it was perfect in this role. Ramona was quite good as an emo chick with plenty of baggage, and Scott's roomate, Kieran Culkin was great as Scott's gay friend/big brother. The star of the show were the exes, however. Some of the highlights were Brandon Routh as a vegan, Chris Klein as an action hero and Jason Schwartzman as the boss. They were hilarious, way over the top and often more entertaining that Scott Pilgrim.

While I can't stop talking about how unique the film looked, there were a couple of little things that irked me. I thought the film had too much of a "hipster" feel to it, and rocking out to the sex bob-ombs was the cool thing to do, and I thought, while fitting, that I've seen Cera's act more than a few times. I also felt kind of bad for poor Knives Chow at the end. While I won't give away any spoilers, I felt a bit bad for her.

Scott Pilgrim may be a hipster movie, but I think we'll find it has one good week in it, before dropping in the theaters, only to arrive on DVD and be an instant cult classic. It has all the right elements, and was a really enjoyable movie. I loved it, but I won't be surprised to see the wave of bad reviews as well.

Check out the review, posted at SpoilerTV.com by clicking HERE.


No comments: