Friday, February 5, 2010

Legion Review

Paul Bettany as Michael the angel, who comes down from heaven to save some kid. That's what I picture the pitch to be, but somewhere between the pitch and the final cut lies all kinds of crap, a lot of stolen scenes and a really bad ending.

Legion is the story of Michael, the famous left hand of God, who comes down from heaven, in defiance of God to save a kid who was supposed to die. Michael meets up in a diner in the middle of nowhere with the pregnant chick, and the workers of the small diner. Once Michael arms the attendants of the diner, they prepare to fend off hordes of possesed people in an attempt to bring this child into the world.

Sure, the incredibly well written summary I just gave sounds kinda cool, if you like angels with fully automatic machine guns. Unfortunetly, it was the execution and the lack of identity of the film that lead to the mess.

I had a lot of problems with different aspects of the film, including how everyone just decided to take up arms against other people just from the word of some tattoo'd guy. During the big invasion, which kinda took the identity of a zombie movie, we get some little kid doing his best Chucky impression (and I'm not talking Jon Gruden), later we get outside the diner for a post-apocolyptic feel, and finally, we get a Lion King moment. The entire time, I was wondering where the cool powers Bettany's Michael showed at the beginning of the movie would come back, but I guess he decided to go for looking cool using a machine gun. His final fight was not very good, but I believe he truly gave everything he could, but was hindered by a rough script.

There were parts of the movie I liked, I promise. I thought Dennis Quaid was great, albeit pretty similar to Dennis Quaid, but he was the best part of the movie. As I said above, Paul Bettany tried really hard to be a tough, military type leader, but I think the script was so ... unpolished, it made it pretty tough.

Overall, this is one of those movies that should be relinquished to a rainy day watching on TBS or something.

No comments: