Monday, November 2, 2009

DirectTV round 2...FIGHT!

So, you all remember last week I posted a column about how I thought DirecTV had taken their ad campaign a bit too far by using a scene from Tommy Boy, especially the scene they used, which featured Chris Farley, an actor who died several years ago. In the article, I had said that while I wouldn't stop using DirecTV if I had it, (which I don't because satellites suck in Florida) I don't particularly find this commercial in good taste. Well, there were several comments on Loafing's website, some good, and some saying to suck it up.

Today, I found a great post on /Film about the whole thing, which includes a video on what might be next for DirecTV. They use several now dead celebrities including Heath Ledger, President Kennedy and Jesus Christ. Now, while this video is meant to be funny, and illustrate a point, I found myself offended. However, the point is made, there is no difference between what is done here, and what is shown in the Farley ad. The final sentence in the /Film post was "well Farley’s family approved it, so its okay.” Poor taste is not decided by the family of the dead actor, that’s just a ridiculous statement."
Well said!
So, what do you think, do you see a difference between the two?

No comments: